Escher.gif (426 bytes)

History of the Atlantic Cable & Undersea Communications
from the first submarine cable of 1850 to the worldwide fiber optic network

CS Restorer
by Dirk van Oudenol

Main Menu
| Home | Contact Email | Prologue | 1901 - 1904 | Joint Reports 1903 - 04 | Early Operations | First World War | Peace | Second World War | 3rd Naval Armed Guard Report | Winter Cable Laying | 11th Naval Armed Guard Report | Peace Again | Home And Back To Work | C.S. Restorer's Final Days Part 1 | C.S. Restorer's Final Days Part 2 | Services Rendered by C.S. Restorer | The End For C.S. Restorer|


Wake Island

On 1/17/1899 the USS Bennington took possession of Wake Island, with the intention of having it used as a cable station between Midway and Guam.  This idea was dropped when it was found there was no natural fresh water to sustain the cable station staff.

25/9/1901 The Chairman reported that, after receiving revised Tenders and discussing details with representatives, orders were given to Messrs Sir W. G. Armstrong, Whitworth and Co. to build C.S. Restorer for £86,000 and to Messrs Wigham-Richardson to build C.S. Patrol for £84,500.

13/11/1901 Letters were submitted from Telegraph Construction & Maintenance Company (TC&MC) and Messrs Johnson & Phillips giving quotations for Cable machinery for the Company's two new cable ships. It was decided to leave the question to the Chairman, Sir John Denison-Pender and the Manager with power to accept Messrs Johnson & Phillips quotation if thought desirable.

15/1/1902 Correspondence with Messrs Armstrong, Whitworth and Messrs Wigham-Richardson and Co. was submitted respecting friction that had arisen with Company's Consulting Engineer in connection with the construction of the new Ships, and action was approved.

12/3/1902 Correspondence with Messrs Wigham-Richardson & Co. was submitted respecting difficulty that had arisen regarding the trim of C.S. Patrol, and interview with Mr. Christie on the subject was reported. It was resolved to obtain the Solicitor's opinion as to the Company's position not only as to the Contractor's responsibility in regard to the point in dispute but as to all the conditions accepted by them.

The advisability of fitting the new Ships with Wireless Telegraphy apparatus was considered and approved in principle, but it was decided to postpone action in the matter until data as to cost etc. is before the Board.

Particulars forwarded by the Great Northern Telegraph Company (GNTC) to Shipbuilding firms to enable them to tender for the proposed new joint ship were submitted. NOTE: This was with reference to the future C.S. Pacific.

1902-03-04 The EEA&CTC, Ltd. Ship's Officers, C.S. Restorer:

Captain W. G. H. Morrell, engaged by EEA&CTC 22/10/1902. William Stafford Fawcus, born 1/11/1867, engaged by EEA&CTC in July, 1892, Chief Officer from Nov. 1902 to Nov. 1904. F. Bredenberg, born 12/3/1868, engaged by EEA&CTC in July 1902, 2nd Officer from July 1902 to Nov. 1904, Acting Chief Officer from Nov. 1904 until 31/12/1904.
H. C. Saunders, born 17/8/1877, engaged by EEA&CTC in Nov. 1902, 3rd Officer from 1902 to Nov. 1904, Acting 2nd Officer from Nov. 1904, left service 28/11/1904.
L. de la M. Mignon, born 26/11/1875, engaged by EEA&CTC in Sept. 1902, 4th Officer until 26/6/1903 (resigned).
Richard Lamb, engaged by EEA&CTC in July, 1903 as 4th Officer, left service 31/8/1904.
James Newborn, born 6/11/1862, engaged by EEA&CTC in Jan. 1895, Chief Engineer from 1/11/1902 until 1/12/1904 (died 8/4//1905).
Walter Edward Gibson, born 9/8/1871, engaged by EEA&CTC in Dec. 1897, 2nd Engineer from July 1902 until July 1904 when he resigned (re-engaged 1/4/1905).
John Williamson, born 31/1/1864, engaged by EEA&CTC in Oct. 1902, 2nd Engineer, no date but between Oct. 1902 and before June 1903.
C. Rowell, engaged by EEA&CTC 14/1/1904, 3rd Engineer from Jan. 1904, promoted to 2nd Engineer 12/2/1904, left service Dec. 1904. He was rehired at unknown later date as he was Chief Engineer in the 1930's.
James Mc Farlane, born 14/6/1874, engaged by EEA&CTC in Oct. 1902 as 3rd Engineer, left service Jan. 1904.
James R. Gray, born 16/7/1870, engaged by EEA&CTC in Nov. 1902 as 4th Engineer, promoted to 3rd Engineer 12/1/1904, left service Jan. 1904.
James B. Appleby, born 10/2/1879, engaged by EEA&CTC in Jan. 1903 as 5th Engineer, left service in Jan. 1904.
S. M. Laird, born ?, engaged by EEA&CTC 22/2/1903 as 6th Engineer, promoted to 4th Engineer 12/1/1904, resigned 28/9/1904.
C. Pinkey, born 13/2/1881, engaged by EEA&CTC on 18/2/1903 as 7th Engineer, left service 12/9/1904.

24/9/1902 Completion of the manufacture and shipment of the San Francisco - Honolulu cable was reported, and that the C.S. Silvertown left the Thames on 20/9/1902 to lay the cable.

The Manager reported that Mr. G. G. Ward had secured from the Telegraph Construction & Maintenance Company (TC&MC) the option, to the end of the year, of purchasing the C.S. Scotia for £13,500.

A list of proposed appointments of officials in the CPCC was submitted and approved as follows:

Vice President & General Manager
G. G. Ward
Traffic Manager
Representative in London
F. Ward
Technical experts in London

The Chairman reported that the C.S. Restorer was launched on 4/9/1902.

The Manager reported that since the last meeting 13 native workmen had died at Cocos, and that the C.S. Sherard Osborn had visited the Station this month, when the Superintendent was relieved and fresh native workmen landed in place of the sick men brought away. Further letters from the Superintendent and Dr. Curtis dated 14th July and 7th July respectively were submitted.

8/10/1902 The Chairman reported that the C.S. Patrol was launched on 4/10/1902.

Letters dated 2/10/1902 from Messrs Armstrong, Whitworth & Co. and Messrs Wigham-Richardson & Co. in reference to the lengthening of the masts for the installation of Wireless Telegraphy together with plans were submitted and the proposal was declined. NOTE: This was just one year after Marconi spanned the Atlantic with the first ever long distance wireless message.

22/10/1902 The Chairman reported that a fault had appeared in the cable about 48 knots from Penang, and that C.S. Sherard Osborn was currently engaged in making repairs. He also reported completion of the manufacture of the Balikpapan to Menado Cable for the Dutch Government.

It was also reported that Steamer trials were expected to take place as follows: C.S. Restorer about 17/11/1902, and C.S. Patrol on 25/11/1902. The question of taking delivery of the vessels in the Tyne or Thames was considered and left to the Chairman, Sir John Denison-Pender and the Manager to settle.

The question of appointing Commanders and Chief Engineers for the new Ships and C.S. Sherard Osborn was considered, and arrangements submitted approved as follows:

C.S. Restorer
C.S. Patrol
C.S. Sherard Osborn
W. G. H. Morrell
R. H. Dunmall
G. D. Rushton
Chief Engineer
J. Newborn
J. W. Wheelwright
R. Kemp

The C.S. Recorder (1) gained J. M. Proudfoot as Chief Engineer at this time, and Arthur Stanley King as a Jointer in Feb. 1903. Mr. King was formerly a messenger in Head Office, and was invalided home from Adelaide in May 1905, and he died 20/4/1906.

The Manager reported manufacture to date of 1,306 knots of the Honolulu-Manila Cable, leaving 4,480 knots to be manufactured.

A telegram was submitted from Mr. G. G. Ward reporting that if the C.S. Scotia were purchased by the CPCC, it would be necessary to obtain an Act of Congress to naturalize her, and suggesting leasing vessel from owners. The question was deferred.

The Manager reported that Mr. Clarence Mackay had been elected President of the CPCC, and Mr. G. G. Ward appointed Chairman of the Executive Committee, and submitted a telegram from the latter asking for authority to elect Mr. Mackay President of the CPCC. It was decided to grant the authority asked for.

The Manager reported that, after considerable discussion with Mr. Nielsen, and correspondence with Commodore Suenson of the GNTC, the time allowed for the GNTC to join the American combination was, at Commodore Suenson's special request, extended from 16/10/1902 to 20/10/1902, subject to the Commercial Companies' approval, which was duly given. He also reported the GNTC had since intimated they were prepared to join in the arrangement and contribute their fourth share of the CPCC's Capital on certain conditions, and correspondence on the subject was submitted together with Chairman's proposed letter to Commodore Suenson.

7/11/1902 Letters from Shipbuilders were read reporting strike of Joiners and Plumbers, which it was feared would delay completion of Ships, and the Manager was instructed to write and point out the importance of early delivery in view of the Company's Contract engagements.

3/12/1902 The Chairman reported that the GNTC having given their approval the CPCC had been authorized to negotiate with the Japanese Government for connecting Japan with Guam on a subsidy basis and control of unrouted traffic, and telegrams were submitted on the subject, and respecting purchase of C.S. Scotia, and amending CPCC's Charter to embrace extension to China - subject to the concurrence of the GNTC the EEA&CTC's approval was given, and the sealing of formal consent authorized.

17/12/1902 Further letters were submitted from Messrs Wigham-Richardson & Co. in reference to continuance of Joiners and Plumbers strike at Newcastle, together with report from Consulting Engineer as to present condition of Ships, and means of completing unfinished Joiners and Plumbers work. After full consideration it was decided to request the Builders to proceed forthwith with Contract trials, and when completed to Company's satisfaction the Ships are to be brought to London where Joiners and Plumbers work to be finished.

The principle upon which the Insurance on the new Ships and Cable were to be effected was considered, and it was resolved that three fourths of the risk should be insured outside, and one fourth taken by the Company.

The General Manager reported the arrival on 7/12/1902 of C.S. Silvertown at San Francisco and that she was then engaged in laying the San Francisco to Honolulu Cable.

The Chairman reported arrangement made with Sir James Fortescue-Flannery to examine and report on the condition of the C.S. Scotia which was approved. A letter was submitted dated 25/11/1902 from Mr. G. G. Ward forwarding copy of certified conditions arranged between the CPCC's representative and the United States Attorney General regarding C.S. Scotia.

A letter dated 25/11/1902 from Mr. Untermeyer enclosing Press Cutting in reference to the Government Conditions accepted by the CPCC was submitted, and it was decided to instruct Mr. Untermeyer not to press the United States Authorities for recognition of the Company's exclusive Concession (at Guam), but to let the Government make the next move.

14/1/1903 It was reported that an Agreement had been entered into with each of the Shipbuilders for overcoming difficulty that had arisen in regard to the registration of the new Ships, and the Agreements were submitted. It was also reported that the official trials of C.S. Restorer had taken place with satisfactory results, and that the C.S. Patrol was then undergoing her trials. It was Resolved that the General Manager be and he is hereby appointed Managing Owner of the Company's vessels.

The General Manager reported that insurance had been effected on the Company's new vessels for 12 months from date of delivery at 70.0% including full running down clause, and 1% average. The successful completion of the laying of the San Francisco to Honolulu Cable, and the opening to traffic on 5/1/1903 were reported.

Telegrams were submitted from Mr. G. G. Ward reporting the election of Mr. W. G. Taylor as Director of the CPCC, and his own appointment as Chairman of the Executive Committee.

Telegrams were exchanged with Mr. G. G. Ward as to application to Chinese for landing Manila to Shanghai Cable and enquiry by Japanese Legation on the subject was also submitted.

A Summary of Sir Fortescue Flannery's Report on C.S. Scotia was read, and decision thereon deferred until next meeting.

28/1/1903 A letter was read from Admiralty dated 26/1/1903 asking to be furnished with information in reference to movements of Company's Cable Ships and Stocks of Cable. It was decided to give the information.

The Chairman reported the arrival of C.S. Restorer in the Thames on 18/1/1903, and that after dry docking she was formally taken over from the Builders, and was then taking cable on board at the TC&MC's Works.

It was also reported that proceedings had been instituted against the Company for damage done to the Steam Trawler "Nellie" by C.S. Restorer when leaving the Tyne on 17/1/1903.The Chairman also reported that the trial trip of the C.S. Patrol had been successfully carried out, and that the vessel would be dry docked in the Tyne that week, and then proceed to ship Cable for carrying out Dutch Contract.

A letter was read from Messrs Armstrong & Company forwarding account for alleged extra boat accommodation and it was decided to reject the claim.

A Report was submitted dated 14/1/1903 from Messrs Flannery, Baggally & Johnson on condition of C.S. Scotia, together with the GNTC's views thereon, and it was decided to exercise the option of purchasing the vessel subject to the concurrence of the Commercial (CCC) and Commercial Pacific Companies (CPCC).

Revised Points of Agreements embodying Amendments approved by GNTC for admitting them
into American combination were submitted, together with proposed Letter to Commodore Suenson assenting to guarantee to be given to Russia. The same were approved subject to the Commercial and CPCC's concurring.+

11/2/1903 A letter was read from the Company's Solicitors reporting that the Owners of the Steam Trawler "Nellie" had agreed to their suggestion that each party should bear the cost of their own damage, and not claim against the other, in connection with the collision between the "Nellie" and the C.S. Restorer. The arrangement was approved.

The Chairman reported that the C.S. Patrol was found to be perfectly satisfactory when dry docked, and that the vessel arrived in the Thames on 4/2/1903, and was then at Enderby's Wharf taking on board the Cable for the Borneo to Menado connection.

The question of giving a Luncheon on board the new Ships just before their departure for the Far East was considered and approved, and a sub-Committee appointed, consisting of Sir John Denison-Pender, Mr. Peel, and the General Manager, to arrange the necessary details.

Authority was given to sell to the Eastern & South African Company the C.S. Sherard Osborn for £9,500, delivery to be given as soon as practicable after Dutch Contract work completed.

The Chairman reported that the CPCC had exercised their option to purchase the C.S. Scotia from the TC&MC, and Messrs Flannery, Baggallay & Company's estimate of cost of carrying out their recommendations for putting the ship into serviceable condition was submitted. It was decided to recommend the CPCC to invite Tenders for carrying out the work on the basis of actual cost plus a percentage to cover profit and establishment charges.

11/3/1903 The departure of C.S. Restorer from Gravesend on 1/3/1903 was reported, but that through stress of weather she put into Portland on 2/3/1903 and sailed for Singapore on 5/3/1903, passing Gibraltar on 9/3/1903. The departure of C.S. Patrol from Gravesend on 4/3/1903 was also reported.

The General Manager reported having drawn upon the Dutch Government a Bill for £21,666.13.4 for the installment of the Borneo-Celebes Cable Contract due on the shipment and departure of the Cable. He also reported that Dr. Curtis was going on satisfactorily towards recovery.

A Copy of Bill introduced in Senate for nationalizing the C.S. Scotia was submitted, together with telegrams exchanged with Mr. Ward respecting the transfer of the ship to the CPCC which was approved together with the arrangement come to with the TC&MC on the subject.

25/3/1903 The following Cable Operations since the last meeting were reported:
That the C.S. Sherard Osborn had been engaged in the Malacca Straits picking up old cable for reserving purposes.
Interruption of the Netherlands Indian Government Cable between Belawan and Acheem, and that the C.S. Sherard Osborn had been chartered to effect repairs, also that the ship had removed the break on 23/3/1903.
Interruption on 24/3/1903 of the Chefoo-Taku No. 1 Cable about 93 miles from Chefoo.
That the Company's New Ships passed Suez on 16/3/1903 and all was well, and letters were submitted dated 14/3/1903 from the Captain and Electrician of C.S. Patrol forwarded from Port Said, together with letter 13/3/1903 from the Captain of C.S. Restorer.

The manufacture to date of 5,763 knots of the Honolulu-Manila Cable was reported, leaving 93 knots to be completed. Also, the completion of loading of C.S. Colonia, and that the C.S. Anglia was then shipping the remainder of the Cable, and that both vessels were expected to leave the Thames on 8/4/1903.

10/2/1904 The following Cable Operations since the last meeting were reported:
Restoration by the C.S. Patrol on 28/1/1904 of the Penang-Madras No. 2 Cable by removal of break, due to anchor, 17 knots from Penang.

Copyright © Dirk van Oudenol
Engine Room Log Card, of style used in 1902-03-04

22/4/1903 The following Cable Operations since the last Meeting were reported:
An interruption of the Chefoo-Port Arthur (Russian) Cable, and repairs by C.S. Store Nordiske on 14/4/1903, with the break 11 knots from Chefoo, due to wilful cutting. A break in the Chefoo to Wei-hai-we (British) Cable, and repairs were effected at the request of His Majesty's Treasury, by the C.S. Store Nordiske on 15/4/1903. The break was reported to be due to wilful cutting.
An interruption of the Saigon-Thuanan Cable about 155 knots from Haiphong.
The removal of a fault on 21/4/1903 in the Banjowangie-Port Darwin Original Cable, on the beach at Port Darwin.
The arrival at Singapore on 2/4/1903 of C.S. Restorer and C.S. Patrol. These ships had been engaged in laying the Borneo-Celebes Cable for the Dutch Government, and that the work was expected to be completed in a few days.
The removal of a fault on 20/4/1903 by C.S. Restorer from the Dutch Government Boleling- Macassar Cable.
The departure from the Thames on 8/4/1903 of C.S. Anglia, and on 9/4/1903 of C.S. Colonia, with the Honolulu-Midway-Guam-Manila Cable.
The arrival on 15/4/1903 of C.S. Recorder (1) at Cocos for removal of Doctor and certain of the Staff and landing others to replace them, and that the ship left to return to Singapore on 20/4/1903.

Particulars of Tenders for repairs and alterations to C.S. Scotia were submitted, and subject to concurrence of associated Companies, Messrs Fletcher's Tender for £3,508 for specified work, and actual cost for extras plus 25% was accepted.

15/7/1903 Completion of the Midway-Honolulu Section on 4/7/1903 was reported, and that the whole of the line between San Francisco and the Philippines was expected to be opened for traffic on 20/7/1903, instead of the 15th, when the Tariff reductions recently announced for China, Hongkong, Japan, Philippines and by the Eastern and Great Northern routes would take effect. The Engineer's Certificate of the satisfactory completion of the cable was submitted, and Authority was given for payment of the instalment of £50,000 due under the Contract.

The General Manager reported progress of alterations and repairs to C.S. Scotia, and authority was given to pay this Company's proportion of the purchase money, and cost of alterations and equipment of the vessel.

The General Manager also reported that the Company's tender for the Cables required by the Dutch Government between Java, Borneo, and Sumatra had been accepted, and Authority was given to sign the Contract when received from the Hague.

23/9/1903 The Joint Committee Minute Book of the Eastern Extension and Great Northern Telegraph Companies was submitted. A letter dated 22/9/1903 from Messrs Deloitte, Dever, Griffiths & Co. reporting on the examination of the Company's books was submitted.

The following Cable Operations since the last meeting were reported:
Termination of the charter of C.S. Patrol to Netherlands Indian Government, and return of vessel to Singapore on 13/8/1903.
Repair by C.S. Restorer on 12/8/1903of break in the Sydney-Nelson (N.Z.) duplicate cable , cause unknown.
Removal by C.S. Restorer on 26/8/1903 of fault in the Tasmanian original cable, and return of ship to Adelaide on 31/8/1903.
Interruption of the Tonquin Cable on 2/8/1903, and that fault sealed up on 4/8/1903.

Interruption of the Banjowangie-Port Darwin No.1 Cable on 10/8/1903 off the Sahul Bank, and repair by the C.S. Recorder (1) on 20/8/1903, break caused by chafe.
Partial renewal by the C.S. Patrol of the Hongkong-Foochow Section by insertion of 119 knots of new cable, and that 77 knots of the old cable had been recovered.
Fall of insulation of the Saigon-Hongkong Cable, and that C.S. Patrol was engaged in effecting repairs.
Manufacture of 620 knots of the Dutch Government Cables to be laid between Java, Borneo, and Sumatra, leaving 26 knots to be manufactured.
Completions of alterations and repairs to C.S. Scotia, Messrs Flannery & Co.'s report on their examination of the vessel was submitted.
That the C.S. Scotia was then lying at Enderby's Wharf shipping the Dutch Government Cable.

The Chairman reported formal transfer by TCMC of the C.S. Scotia into Mr. G. G. Ward's name and that Mr. Ward had executed and handed to the CPCC a blank transfer of the ship.

A letter was submitted dated 14/8/1903 from the Dutch Government accepting the Company's offer to supply the Instruments required for the Java-Borneo-Sumatra Cables, and the twin core cable to be laid at Batavia.

A letter was read dated 9/9/1903 from His Majesty's Treasury requesting the Company to work the Government Cable recently laid between Wei-hai-wei and Mahto on the terms offered by the Company, and it was reported instructions had been given to carry out the Government's wishes.

The General Manager reported negotiations with Representatives of CPCC and GNTC for adjusting all outstanding difficulties, and completing proposed new Agreements, and the following suggested compromise was agreed to, viz: That when the CPCC's system is extended from Manila to Shanghai the GNTC, Eastern, EEA&CTC will pay the CPCC £13,000/annum.

21/10/1903 The following Cable Operations since the last meeting were reported:
Repair by C.S. Restorer of the Cocos-Perth Cable on 12/10/1903, with the break due to chafe, 25 knots from Perth.
Interruption of the Singapore-Saigon Cable on 11/10/1903 4 knots from Singapore, and repair by C.S. Patrol on 12/10/1903, with the break due to anchor.
Return to Singapore from Cocos of the C.S. Recorder (1) on 15/10/1903.
Completion of shipment of the Dutch Government Cable on board the C.S. Scotia to the satisfaction of the Government Inspector, and that the vessel left the Thames for the Far East on 14/10/1903.

4/11/1903 The arrival of C.S. Scotia at Suez on 29/10/1903, and departure for Colombo the next day was reported.
A telegram reporting the loss of a schooner chartered to take provisions, etc. to Midway Island was reported, as was the dispatch of a Government Vessel with another supply of provisions, and to bring away shipwrecked crew.
A letter was read from Mr. G. G. Ward forwarding the soundings taken by U.S.S. Pathfinder, for the proposed Manila-Shanghai Cable. It was considered advisable for the CPCC to point out to the Government the necessity for more soundings in places where rapid alteration of levels are shown by present service. U.S.S. Pathfinder (1) was launched 7/12/1898, was powered by 4,500' of canvas and a triple expansion steam engine of 1,173HP. This ship spent most of its life charting waters in and around the Philippines, until it was sunk by Japanese bombing in December of 1941.

18/11/1903 The following Cable Operations since the last meeting were reported:
Interruption of the Iloilo-Cebu section on 11/11/1903 about 106 knots from Iloilo, and that C.S. Patrol had been instructed to proceed to effect repairs.
Arrival of C.S. Scotia at Colombo on 13/11/1903, and departure the same day for Singapore.

The General Manager submitted a Print, as finally settled, of proposed Agreement with the GNTC for joint ownership of C.S. Store Nordiske and the new C.S. Pacific, and Authority was given to affix the Company's seal thereto. The following Cable Operations since the last meeting were reported:

A letter was read from the GNTC that the new C.S. Pacific was expected to be handed over by the builders on 20/11/1903, and that they would exercise their option to use the ship in Europe for a few months, and afterwards fill up the ship with spare cable for transport to the Far East which was approved.

20/11/1903 Today the EEA&CTC and the GNTC of Copenhagen entered into a comprehensive Agreement, stating the terms under which the C.S. Store Nordiske (1) and the new C.S. Pacific would sail under the Danish flag for the benefit of both companies.

2/12/1903 The following Cable Operations since the last meeting were reported:
Arrival at Singapore on 20/11/1903 of the C.S. Scotia with the Dutch Government Cables, and that the vessel left on 29/11/1903 for Batavia where she arrived on 1/12/1903.
Charter by the Netherlands Indian Government of the C.S. Patrol to remove the fault in their Bandjermasin Cable.

A letter dated 25/11/1903 from GNTC reporting the result of the trial trip of C.S. Pacific was submitted.

13/1/1904 The following Cable Operations since the last meeting were reported:
Repair by the C.S. Restorer on 23/12/1903 of the Flinders-Tasmanian No. 2 Cable by removal of break, caused by chafe, 2 ½ knots from Flinders, and that the vessel when going to Lowheads grounded on Point Barrel Spit where she remained 2 hours.
Interruption of the Singapore-Banjoewangie Cable on 25/12/1903.
Interruption of the Penang-Singapore No.1 Cable on 2/1/1904.
Repair by the C.S. Patrol on 11/1/1904 of the Saigon-Haiphong Cable by removal of break about 50 knots from Doson, cause unknown.
That the C.S. Recorder (1) was still engaged in laying the Borneo land connection for the Dutch Government.
Also that the C.S. Scotia having completed her work proceeded to Singapore, arriving on 10/1/1904, but would not be able to dock until 18/1/1904.

10/2/1904 The following Cable Operations since the last meeting were reported:
Restoration by the C.S. Patrol on 28/1/1904 of the Penang-Madras No.2 Cable by removal of break, due to anchor, 17 knots from Penang.
Repair by the C.S. Patrol on 7/2/1904 of the Banjoewangie-Darwin No. 1 Section by the removal of two breaks, caused by chafe, 447 knots from Banjoewangie and 592 knots from Port Darwin respectively.
Interruption of both Vladivostock Cables close to Vladivostock on 9/2/1904.
Arrival of the C.S. Recorder (1) at Singapore on 5/2/1904 after completion of work for the Netherlands Government.
That the C.S. Scotia left Singapore for Honolulu on 30/1/1904.
Telegrams exchanged with CPCC in reference to an application for cable from the Japanese Government were submitted.

23/3/1904 The following Cable Operations since the last meeting were reported:
Repair by the C.S. Recorder (1) on 19/3/1904 of the Menado-Kwandang Cable for the Netherlands Indian Government.
That the C.S. Recorder (1) had been instructed to repair the Saigon-Tonquin Cable.
That the C.S. Restorer left Adelaide on 19/3/1904 for Singapore.
Repair by the C.S. Store Nordiske on 21/3/1904 of the Chefoo-Tsingtau Cable by removal of break, due to anchor, 60 knots from Chefoo.

The Assistant Secretary reported that the C.S. Scotia was wrecked on Callahan Bank near the entrance to Guam Harbour on 12/3/1904, and that the Company's C.S. Patrol left Singapore on 16/3/1904 to salvage cable on board and submitted telegrams on the subject; and a memorandum giving the result of a discussion Sir John Denison-Pender had had with Mr. Nielsen on the subject of a new repairing vessel for the CPCC was also submitted.

A letter dated 21/3/1904 from the GNTC reporting delay in the departure of the C.S. Pacific was submitted.

20/4/1904 The following Cable Operations since the last meeting were reported:
That the C.S. Restorer arrived at Singapore on 3/4/1904 from Adelaide.
Interruption on 29/3/1904 of the Banjoewangie-Darwin duplicate Cable, and repair by the C.S. Restorer on 19/4/1904, 712 knots from Banjoewangie, cause unknown.
Repair by the C.S. Recorder (1) on 6/4/1904 of the Saigon-Haiphong Cable by removal of break, caused by chafe, 255 knots from Cape St. James, and return to Singapore on 9/4/1904.
Also that C.S. Recorder (1) had since recovered 42.33 knots of the old Singapore-Batavia Cable for reclosing purposes, and returned to Singapore on 12/4/1904; also that the ship is now undergoing her boiler survey, after which she will proceed to Manila to convey Mr. Peel and the General Manager to the various Philippine Stations, Labuan, Singapore, etc.
That C.S. Patrol left Guam for Singapore on 7/4/1904, after having recovered all cable ex Scotia with the exception of 1¼ knots of Type E, and arrived at Singapore on 16/4/1904.
That C.S. Pacific, the joint cable ship for the China Station, left Copenhagen on 9/4/1904 arriving in the Thames on 12/4/1904, and is now taking in the GNTC's cable for conveyance to the Far East.

21/4/1904 At a Special Joint Meeting of the Directors of the Eastern and EEA&CTC held this day at 21 Delahay Street, Westminster, S.W.:

                                     Sir John Wolfe Barry, in the Chair
                                     Lord Allerton
                                     F. A.. Bevan Esq.
                                     Hon. Arthur Brodrick
                                     Sir Albert J. Leppoc Cappel
                                     Sir John Denison-Pender
                                     Sir Henry C. Fischer
                                     F. A. Johnston Esq.
                                     The Marquis of Tweeddale  

It was reported that the EEA&CTC had offered to sell the C.S. Patrol to the CPCC for the sum of £100,000. It was also reported that the GNTC and the Eastern Co. approved this offer, and that the Commercial Cable Company were also favourable to it. The latter, however, had put forward a claim that the proportion in the Joint Purse of the CPCC should be increased proportionately to the increase of Capital required for the purchase of the C.S. Patrol, being the difference between the amount received from the Underwriters for the loss of C.S. Scotia and the price to be paid for the C.S. Patrol. Mr. Ward had, however, been informed that this claim could not be entertained, which was approved.

13/7/1904 At a Special Joint Meeting of the Directors of the EEA&CTC at Electra House, London, it was agreed to sell to the CPCC this Company's C.S. Restorer on the following basis:
(a) The actual contract cost of the Ship, less a depreciation at the rate of £5,000 per annum.
(b) That the price for chartering the C.S. Patrol from Singapore to Guam and back should be arranged as if the CPCC had taken over the Ship from the date she left Singapore for Guam, viz: 14/3/1904, and that the payment for such charter should be the actual cost of working and maintaining the Ship from that date up to the time of talking over. This amount to be arranged in London, actual figures being produced.
(c) The purchase to be subject to survey.
(d) Electrical Instruments and Cable stores not to be included.
(e) Any additional stores required by the CPCC to be supplied by the EEA&CTC at cost price, delivered in Singapore.
(f) As a check on the price of the Ship, all documents to be submitted to a Consulting Engineer to be chosen by the CPCC, and such Engineer to be asked what he considers the present value of the Ship.

A letter was submitted dated 15/6/1904 from the Captain of C.S. Patrol enclosing Chief Engineer's Report on furnaces, and it was resolved that in future all Chief Engineers taking over charge of a ship will be held responsible for the engines, boilers, and furnaces being in an efficient state.

The question of manning the Company's repairing vessels was considered, and Memorandum on subject submitted, and it was Resolved that Captain Morrell be informed that, from the date the C.S. Restorer is handed over to the CPCC, this Company will not require his services, and from which date the Company will grant him six month's pay.

It was also decided to give notice to all Officers, whom the Company do not wish to retain, that their services would not be required after the date above mentioned.

20/7/1904 The following Cable Operations since the last meeting were reported:
Repair by the C.S. Store Nordiske (1) on 18/7/1904 of the Chefoo-Taku No. 1 Cable, fault due to fishhook, 9½ miles from Taku.
That whilst at anchor at Shanghai the C.S. Pacific was run into by a local river steamer, the approximate cost of damage which was slight ($600) will be paid by Owner of same.
Arrival of C.S. Restorer at Singapore on 15/7/1904 after having picked up 194.33 knots of the Haiphong-Hongkong section.

5/10/1904 The General Manager reported that the loan of £50,000 from the CPCC had been treated as part payment of the purchase money for the C.S. Restorer as from 23/8/1904
Also acceptance on 26/9/1904 of Bill for £286.9.1 drawn by Captain W. J. Kemp at Port Said to settle account with Port Said & Suez Coal Co. for coal and canal dues for C.S. Magnet.

The following Cable Operations since the last meeting were reported:
Interruption of the Singapore-Saigon Cable on 22/9/1904, and repair by the C.S. Recorder (1) on the 25th. Break due to corrosion, 52 knots from Singapore.

Removal by the C.S. Recorder on 23/9/1904 of fault in the Singapore-Batavia Section 348 knots from Singapore, due to faulty joint.
That the same vessel had picked up 58.91 knots of the 193 knots of the Cable recovered from the Haiphong-Hongkong Section paid out temporarily near Singapore.
Interruption of the Banjowangie-Port Darwin No. 2 Cable on 2/10/1904 about 22 knots from Banjowangie, and departure of C.S. Recorder (1) on the 4th to effect repairs.
That the C.S. Magnet left Suez on 22/9/1904, arrived in Perim on the 27th, and left for Colombo on the 29th.

A letter received by the CPCC from Sir William White was submitted, together with his Report upon the sale of the C.S. Restorer. Also, there was a Statement showing cost of Ship to, and expenses relating to Charter of C.S. Patrol for Guam salvage work.

There was a Proposal to increase the CPCC's Capital to pay for the C.S. Restorer, and provide Duplex apparatus for whole of that Company's system was reported and approved.

30/11/1904 A Bill of Sale was submitted for transfer of C.S. Restorer to Mr. G. G. Ward, and Authority was given to affix the Company's seal thereto after balance of purchase money paid.

Further telegrams were exchanged between CPCC and Japanese Government regarding Guam-Japan Cable arrangements were submitted.

Main Menu
| Home | Contact Email | Prologue | 1901 - 1904 | Joint Reports 1903 - 04 | Early Operations | First World War | Peace | Second World War | 3rd Naval Armed Guard Report | Winter Cable Laying | 11th Naval Armed Guard Report | Peace Again | Home And Back To Work | C.S. Restorer's Final Days Part 1 | C.S. Restorer's Final Days Part 2 | Services Rendered by C.S. Restorer | The End For C.S. Restorer|

Copyright © 2006 Dirk van Oudenol

Last revised: 22 July, 2006

Return to Atlantic Cable main page