Escher.gif (426 bytes)

History of the Atlantic Cable & Undersea Communications
from the first submarine cable of 1850 to the worldwide fiber optic network

1963 Anglo-Danish No. 1 and
Anglo-German Nos. 1 & 2 Cables

by Bill Glover

CS Peter Faber (2) picked up the three shore ends and other equipment from STC's factory at Southampton, leaving for Winterton on the 30th May 1963. Bad weather prevented any work being carried out until the 5th June when a line attached to the Anglo-German No 1 shore end was fired ashore by rocket and the cable itself was then pulled ashore by tractor. Attempts to carry out a similar operation with the German No 2 shore end failed and the line was eventually brought ashore by rowing boat. CS Peter Faber's motor launch brought the line for the Anglo-Danish cable ashore on the 8th June and all three cables had been connected and buried by the following day. Laying of the main cables was carried out by HMTS Monarch (4) and all three cables, each with a capacity of 120 circuits, were brought into service during 1964.

Shore end of the cable being brought ashore with CS Peter Faber (2) standing offshore

UK - Germany No 1 cable coming ashore at Winterton

Bringing sea earth cables ashore

Testing the cable.

Clearing the beach

Burying the cable
Burial complete

See this explanation of sea earths from DE GIULI, Italo, Submarine Telegraphy - A Practical Manual, London, 1932, Sir Isaac Pitman & Sons, Ltd.

Copyright © 2007 FTL Design

Last revised: 1 May, 2007

Return to Atlantic Cable main page

Research Material Needed

The Atlantic Cable website is non-commercial, and its mission is to make available on line as much information as possible.

You can help - if you have cable material, old or new, please contact me. Cable samples, instruments, documents, brochures, souvenir books, photographs, family stories, all are valuable to researchers and historians.

If you have any cable-related items that you could photograph, copy, scan, loan, or sell, please email me: [email protected]